Thursday, February 6, 2014

hints of spring

I'm so ready for sewing lighter garments for spring. Looking at outside snowing, I've sewn a pullover and a skirt, already.


A color-blocking pullover
One day, I was very optimistic and I couldn't avoid an experiment that I wouldn't normally try on my own garments. It was color-blocking, and hahaha, you can see what I have done. I think it ended up Okay and I quite enjoy wearing it when I especially like to dress casual. The gray jersey fabric is shiny and shaggy, and is a good contrast to the white jersey fabric that has a soft and spongy texture. It was hard to photograph the garment with showing its good characters rightly, though, you might be able to feel that I'm pleased with this tiny sewing adventure. The pattern was Edelweiss from Tamanegi-kobo. By the way, I tell you that Edelweiss is one of my best staple patterns. It is so versatile and pretty!


Having talked about Tamanegi-kobo, I let you know that they have moved to the new site for renewal opening very recently. The new shop now perfectly supports two languages, Japanese and English, and the patterns are instant download upon purchase. Yay! Even their patterns got huge improvements in many aspects too, for instance, the way of page placement and multi-size layering of the newly released PDF patterns seems even better. Moreover, and also what might be better for you, they have decided to provide some oldest patterns free of charge. The newly free patterns are limited to the ones that are nested PDF without individual layers for each size, nevertheless, I think it is a big surprise. If you are curious about using my favorite pattern shop's patterns, now is the time to try. By the way, the pattern Balloon which I wrote about in this blog post is now one of their free patterns too.

An Aboriginal print skirt
In November, Carolyn visited Japan on family holiday and I met up with her and her family in Tokyo and also in the countryside near Mt. Fuji and Hakone. I enjoyed acting like a tour guide and we had very lovely two days in a row. Carolyn, Cassie, and I managed to drop by Nippori town in the end of the first day too, and of course we got one or two pieces of fabrics for ourselves each. I bought a small piece of ultrasuede, I confess you before you ask me what I've got. ;)

I got another fabric while they were here too, and I made this skirt using it. As you may be guessing, Carolyn kindly brought me this beautiful Aboriginal print fabric as a gift. I am such a lucky woman. I always think that I am, but I really mean it when I think of my sewing friends. You all are gems in my life, and you make me feel that I'd love to be a nice person like you and others.

Thank you so much, Carolyn, the Fish Basket fabric turned out a pretty skirt and the color suits my wardrobe very much!


This is a simple skirt with asymmetric but conservative ruffles. The pattern is from Annee-patterns and its name is Daisy. I didn't put many alterations to the pattern but lengthened a bit to fit my height. I like this feminine skirt, and I'm sure it's going to appear on many warm days in the future.

=====
color-blocking pullover
pattern: Edelweiss from Tamanegi-kobo
Not much altered except color blocking. jerseys with medium body. White and gray.

skirt with ruffles
pattern: Daisy from Annee-patterns
Plain woven cotton with Aboriginal print "Fish Basket". fairly firm, drapes not bad, gray, white, black and yellow.
=====


Have a great day, everyone!

Love,
yoshimi


25 comments:

  1. I really really like your skirt! The pattern is absolutely gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Two very nice patterns that make a great outfit. You made a lovely skirt with your gifted fabric. You are lucky to have such a generous friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Talking about Tamanegi-kobo, I've recently purchased a few patterns from them. I also see how much they improved their patterns but also the website.

    The Edelweiss turned out lovely! I like the little split in the front: very cute! All in all, you've created such a playful look! Hope these warm days will come soon!

    Your post made me feel so nostalgic: I used to live in Tokyo until last November. I miss Nippori, Hakone and my life in Japan...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The sprit in the front is my favorite part in this Edelweiss.
      You can come back, anytime, and you have to tell me when you do so that I can come to your fabric shopping ;)

      Delete
  4. Your skirt turned out so lovely Yoshimi! and goes so nicely with the cute blue and ivory top. I was lucky enough to see that in person, and it is indeed so very pretty. These colours suit you beautifully :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Carolyn, I still have some of the fabric and I'm happily looking for a great idea of using it.

      Delete
  5. I love those outfits! I'm starting to sew for spring, too, even though we are are covered in snow in Boston. Thank you for the link to Tamanegi-kobo. I had never heard of them, and I like their patterns very much.

    ReplyDelete
  6. oooo i'm totally lurking that site!

    everything you do is just so delicious, yoshimi. perfection.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That print is gorgeous! Looks beautiful on you

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh no! You've been tempting me for years with those patterns and the gorgeous things you've made from them (like this outfit!) but I just couldn't order them not knowing everything that was written. But now...I am in real trouble, especially because I could try a few first free. Thank you but in the same breath, shame on you too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you so much for the information about Tamanegi-kobo! Ever since I saw the batwing shirt on Carolyn´s blog I wanted to make it, too. I tried to buy it but could not navigate the site! It is fabulous that the site will be in English soon!
    And your outfit is gorgeous! Yes, it looks like spring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Then please follow this link! The shop is already renewed and it should lead you their English site.
      http://tmngkobo.onlinestores.jp/language/en
      Thank you for your comment!

      Delete
  10. A very feminine but cheeky outfit, love the blue/ivory top and the fabric for your skirt is so subtle and gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your ensemble looks great, and, great on you.
    Thank you for the link to Tamanegi-kobo. I had no idea that shop existed. I am in deeeep trouble.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely outfit. The top looks so nice an especially with the colours of the skirt.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I always love your styling and color choice. Everything is so clean and light like the air of spring!

    ReplyDelete
  14. These are both gorgeous pieces. They are classically beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The way you write is so appealing! I am excited to have a look at your favourite pattern brand, too - I have often wanted to do so, so thank you for sharing this. Your new outfit is lovely and delicate. Like a snowdrop!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Cute skirt pattern, feminine but not over top.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a beautiful outfit! The split hem on the top is a clever detail and the skirt is the absolute perfect shape. I am so ready for Spring.

    ReplyDelete
  18. So many thanks to you for letting us know about the updated website for your friend's pattern company. I dashed right over and downloaded my very own Wilma, inspired by one of Yoshimi's lovely creations. It was a perfect fit with no adjustments to the flat pattern, beautifully drafted. I'm feeling quite smug today wearing a Tamanegi-kobo original, not too many girls in Sacramento can say that!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Very much been enjoying your blog. Thank you for the Tamanegi-Kobo site link. I will surely try their patterns very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh my gosh, your whole outfit is fantastic! This is totally my style, I love the skirt print as well as the soft colours colourblocking of the top. I have never heard of Tamanegi-kobo, but will have to pop by the site. I also may have to be inspired by (copy) your outfit, LOL. I love it!

    ReplyDelete